I was recently interviewed on the “Over the Counter Podcast” where we discuss prednisone and what you need to know about its side effects.
The “Over the Counter Podcast” is all about empowering the patient to take control of their healthcare. To support this mission, I was recently interviewed by Dr. Sheila-Marie McAdoo where we discussed the side effects from prednisone and how to navigate them. Tune in here!
Show Notes from Dr. Sheila-Marie McAdoo
1. Prednisone can cause a host of side effects such as weight gain in the belly and face, insomnia, emotional roller coasters, and bone and muscle loss. Some of these effects occur early on and some may develop later.
2. According to the rheumatoid arthritis guidelines, everyone who is on a corticosteroid should take calcium and vitamin D every day because these drugs steal these nutrients and others from your bones. Consider taking a supplement such as Nutranize Zone to combat the nutrient depletion that occurs from taking corticosteroids.
3. Never suddenly stop taking prednisone work with your doctor and pharmacist to taper off or else you can go in to adrenal crisis when can be lethal.
4. Watch you sugar intake while on corticosteroids because they sugar can be deposited and cause weight gain.
5. Take your daily dose all at once in the morning with food. This helps to mitigate the insomnia.
Prednisone: Flu shot or not?Prednisone: Flu shot or Not? Should you get a flu shot 💉 while taking prednisone...
Does Prednisone Cause Hair Loss?Does Prednisone Cause Hair Loss? I received this message from a Prednisone Warrior: I took...
Prednisone Side Effects Short-Term – Do They Exist?Does Short-Term Prednisone Cause Side Effects? Did your doctor tell you, “I’m only prescribing prednisone...